In today’s world, one technology dominates every conversation: Artificial Intelligence.
It’s a technology that’s developing at a rapid pace, with wide-ranging implications and a seemingly endless number of applications. Much like businesses in every industry, accounting firms need to evolve in line – both in their operations and in their approach to marketing.
Today, accounting firms are leveraging AI to transform marketing content, enhance SEO strategies, refine email campaigns, optimize advertising content, and much more. It’s a powerful technology that, when used correctly, acts as a force multiplier. With the right approach, your marketing team’s effectiveness can skyrocket, making you an indispensable partner in your firm’s growth strategy.
In this overview, we’ll explore the various ways that accounting firm marketing teams can start using AI technologies today. We’ll share practical tips and explore how leading accounting firms are already using AI to improve productivity and unlock improved growth.
The Nature of AI in Content Creation
Much like first computers and then the internet, AI is a hugely powerful tool that promises to upend the way we work. Building the competencies to effectively leverage AI technologies takes a thoughtful approach, and that begins with understanding some of the ways AI can be leveraged in the content creation process.
AI-powered tools are invaluable in creating marketing content that resonates with your firm’s target audience. AI tools can analyze data from various sources, from external databases to proprietary firm data, to identify trends and preferences, helping accounting firms tailor their content to specific demographics.
Teams can also use AI to add a rich layer of personalization to their content, tailoring various types of marketing collateral to clients’ and potential clients’ personal preferences. It’s an approach that promises improved client engagement, stronger relationships, and ultimately higher levels of satisfaction.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has long been a critical aspect of digital marketing. AI algorithms can analyze search engine data to identify keywords and phrases that are relevant to accounting firms.
Additionally, AI-driven content generation can produce SEO-friendly articles, blogs, and web pages that rank higher on search engine results pages, driving more organic traffic to your firm’s website. Take care to have human editors and content strategists driving the process to ensure your firm’s unique voice and technical expertise shine through.
Email marketing remains a potent tool for accounting firms to nurture client relationships between engagements and share valuable insights.
AI tools are well-suited to optimizing your firm’s email content by analyzing recipient behavior and preferences. Consider experimenting with using AI technologies to personalize subject lines, content, and send times to maximize open rates and click-through rates.
In the competitive world of online advertising, AI plays a pivotal role in crafting compelling ad content at scale.
Need some inspiration for different creative angles? Ask an AI for ideas. AI can assist you in generating copy, images, and even videos. Test and iterate these to find the highest-performing solutions.
AI doesn’t just help in a creative sense. It can also help improve the targeting of your ads to be more relevant to your Ideal Client Profile. AI algorithms can analyze user behavior and preferences to create precise targeting parameters that are optimized for superior ROI.
By investing in creating higher-quality ad content, teams can attract leads that are more likely to convert into clients, boosting their team’s performance and supporting the firm’s growth objectives.
Big Four Leading the Way
The Big Four accounting firms have already recognized the potential of AI in content creation and marketing. In addition to incorporating AI into their marketing strategy, many of these firms have announced significant investments in AI technologies designed to augment their accounting staff.
Here’s an overview of some of the steps our industry’s largest firms are taking:
- Deloitte: Deloitte is actively incorporating AI technologies into their internal learning and development tools, using AI technologies to create personalized learning journeys that equip their employees with the skills they need to be successful. That’s in addition to a major partnership with Nvidia to bring generative AI capabilities to enterprise software platforms.
- PwC: In April 2023, PwC announced plans to invest $1 Billion in AI technologies over the next three years. Through a partnership with OpenAI’s GPT-4/ChatGPT and Microsoft’s Azure OpenAI Service, PwC is innovating hundreds of different use cases for AI technologies, both for internal use and for client projects.
- EY: Like PwC, EY is investing heavily in AI technologies, channeling $1.4 Billion toward the creation of EY.ai, a new platform to unite AI technologies with the firm’s strategy, tax, assurance, and risk management expertise.
- KPMG: KPMG has formed a $2 Billion partnership with Microsoft to invest in various business lines, automating routine tasks and freeing employees up to spend more time on strategic guidance.
The Big 4 might be leading the way, but many smaller firms are making significant investments in AI technologies. Those who innovate will build a competitive advantage; those who ignore this new technology will be left behind.
Incorporating AI in Accounting Firms’ Communication and Marketing Strategies
It’s easy for this new world to feel overwhelming. If you’re unsure where to start, here are some practical tips for accounting firms looking to incorporate AI into their content strategies:
- Customize AI-Generated Content: While AI can create the foundation, human editors should review and refine the content to ensure it aligns with the firm’s voice, branding, and expertise.
- Leverage Data Analytics: Use AI-powered analytics tools to gain insights into client behavior and preferences. This information can guide content creation and marketing decisions.
- Stay Informed: The field of AI is constantly evolving. Accounting firms should stay informed about the latest AI developments and adapt their strategies accordingly. At Winding River Consulting, we’ll continue to closely track the developments of AI. In a recent Digital Deep Dive Webinar, we hosted Paul Roetzer, Founder & CEO of the Marketing AI Institute.
Selecting a Trusted Strategic Partner
Accounting firms can no longer afford to ignore the growing influence of AI on content creation and marketing strategies. As the largest accounting firms have demonstrated, AI is an extremely important technology that has the potential to enhance marketing content, improve SEO strategies, optimize email campaigns, and boost advertising efforts – for starters.
Embracing AI in a thoughtful, strategic manner is the only way that leaders can ensure their firm remains competitive in the digital era.
If you’re seeking sophisticated strategy and content marketing services to take your accounting firm’s digital presence to the next level, consider partnering with Winding River Consulting. Our expertise in content strategy, SEO, and AI technologies can help you stay ahead in the evolving landscape of digital marketing and communication.
Our professional education programs, including our signature Managing Partner Bootcamp, help leaders develop the skills to steward their firms through the challenges of today while building for a stronger future.
Contact us today to learn more about our services.